& the slipper still fits

Hooked by the Nook?

Dear readers, I have now had my Nook near 6 months and boy do I have a lot to say about it. There isn't a week that goes by where don't I hear, read, or see someone thinking about or getting a Nook. Now, I'm all for new gadget purchases, but I think I fell into the average Nook user category and would urge anyone thinking about a $250 dish-out to consider a few things first.

Before getting the Nook Color for Christmas last year, I thought  long and hard about it. I'm the kind of girl who ADORES her books, literally...I adore them. A discarded book at a library, I'm the girl who takes it home and keeps it. So, I had to really think how e-books would fit into my world. Ultimately, I reasoned that I would be buying different types of books on the nook. And that once I got used to buying them in e-form, I wouldn't fret so much about not having the actual book. Plus, ebooks are generally cheaper. In the end, getting a Nook Color wasn't my decision: my family got it for me and my fantastic brother made sure I got the best one in the store.

A Nook isn't like an ipod (technical usability and support)
With an I pod, you get super simple instructions: download itunes, load your music, plug in your ipod, and go. The beauty of ipods is they're idiot friendly. The Nook? I felt SUPER stupid. Its instructions tell you to turn it on and follow the pop up screens. Before you do anything you have to hook it up to the internet. So God help you if you don't have wireless. Then, make sure you have a Barnes and Noble account already set up, because you have to have one before you buy your first book. Then, there's the whole buying a book thing. The shop and shopping online are two different options, and if your internet connection is slow, it can take up to 4 days for the purchase to show up. Yeah, that whole instant reader thing? Non-existent at times.

Let's not even talk about how long it took me to figure out CONNECTING it to my computer. The instructions included with the Nook don't even cover it and it took me a week searching online to find out how to actually achieve a connection. BTW: you plug your Nook into its cord, plug the cord into the computer and "unlock" (slide the lock button over on the screen like you're unlocking it) your nook while its on. This will connect it to your computer.

The finger response is good, but if you normally have cold hands, you're going to struggle. Same goes for people with large fingers.

Are you a book reader? Really? (frequency of use and ways to use your Nook)
To be honest, what I do least on my Nook is read. I actually use it more as a hand-held internet device than anything. Which really is such a waste of the nook. I realized soon after getting the Nook that reading from PDF or downloading off Project Gutenberg is not all its cracked up to be. With all the app improvements and all the android integration, you would think B&N could spend a little time fixing up reading support. Just a little. Please?  

As mobile internet, it works well. And as e-reader its not half bad. When I do read on it, its wonderful. My lack of use comes more from the price of e-books and my absolute refusal to spend over $8.00 on anything in e-format. I guess I still haven't reasoned myself out of physical books vs. e-books yet.

And where do you store yours (you Nook in your life)
Be careful! Don't leave your Nook in a hot or cold car. Definitely buy it a cover (... ...for 40+ dollars) and remember that not all places have free wireless internet. I constantly remind myself my e-reader is for reading and I do place it around books. This is the paramount thing to remember when buying a Nook. Remember that you've bought it for reading, and don't focus so much on the new gadgets for it, or outside things it can do. Remember you didn't buy a Nook Color because you wanted a cheaper ipad. If you did it for that, you'll be underwhelmed. If you bought the nook to be your million in one book, you might still have a chance dear reader.

Overall, I would never get rid of my Nook. And if I did have more expendable income for books, I think I would utilize it as an e-reader much more often. This blog post ended up a little bit more of a bitch session than I thought it would, but I've told you the worst. I do think my major issue lays in functionality. Remember, I'm the average book reader. If I can't find it in 5 minutes, or the download isn't quick, you've lost me. My problem lies in connecting to the books I want to read and how they've become second to internet ability and apps, not the books themselves. Now, if you still want a Nook -- that means you have it bad, and probably should already have one.